"The best prescription I've ever given is a wish."
-Dr. Jeremy Friedman, Associate Paediatrician-in-Chief, SickKids Hospital & Medical Advisor for Make-A-Wish® Canada
WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST WISH?
Is it to be part of an organization that is child-focused, values employee experience and is an inspiring workplace? If so, Make-A-Wish is for you!
Make-A-Wish® Canada creates life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. We are on a quest to bring every eligible child's wish to life because a wish is an integral part of a child's treatment journey. Research shows children who have wishes granted can build the physical and emotional strength they need to fight a critical illness.
“It’s been wonderful to have this wish to look forward to... It’s wonderful to see [Rowan] with something that brings him pure joy after all he’s been through and missed out on!”
–Melissa, mom to wish kid Rowan (age 5, leukemia), who wished for an indoor jungle gym.
MISSION, VISION AND VALUES
Our mission is, together, we create life-changing wishes for children with critical illness. Supported by our vision to grant the wish of every eligible child.
Our values are Child-Focused, Integrity, Impact, Innovation, and Community.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Meaningful opportunities to make an impact and change the lives of children with critical illnesses within your community and across Canada
- A collaborative team environment where you feel valued and inspired
- An attractive compensation package that includes group health and dental premiums which are fully covered by the Foundation, RRSP, & Wish paid hours
- Annual vacation starting at three weeks & additional paid leaves
- Work/life balance and flexibility
- Hybrid working environment
- Employee Wellness Program
- Corporate discounts
- Continuous learning, development and internal training opportunities
- Fun employee activities, contests, and more!
Make-A-Wish® Canada is committed to fostering a culture that aims to change lives while offering a rewarding employment experience where your contributions make a true difference every day!
WHERE YOU COME IN
We are looking for a Development Officer to join our team at Make-A-Wish Canada. Reporting to the Manager of Development, they are responsible for managing and coordinating assigned fundraising activities within Edmonton to grow revenue for the Chapter. This includes, but is not limited to event execution, securing sponsorship, event participant recruitment, donor development, grant writing and researching opportunities to increase chapter revenue.
This role is located in Edmonton, AB and is a full-time, permanent, hybrid position.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Identify and inspire potential corporate and individual donors as well community fundraisers.
- Apply event management principles and processes to manage the full cycle of events at the chapter level, ensuring high standards for all assigned fundraising initiatives.
- Develop strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with internal departments to assist with the development or coordination of material for fundraising activities, Wish Stories and other social/marketing media.
- Establish and provide support to event committees to ensure success of events (e.g., guidance, materials, staff/volunteers, timelines, etc.).
- Work in collaboration with the region’s Wish Granting team to identify appropriate Wish Families for event participation.
- Collaborate with immediate manager in identifying opportunities for development and growth in sponsorship, donations (e.g., sponsorships for event décor, silent auction, prizes, food and drinks, entertainment, supplies, equipment, venues, etc.) and awareness.
- Strengthen and grow revenue development opportunities with existing donors through cultivation and implementation of strategies, ensuring that the business objectives of both the organization and the corporate partners are aligned.
- Act as an ambassador and spokesperson for the Foundation, specifically when communicating at events and with donors and other stakeholders.
- Continuously works to increase awareness of MAWC through all contacts and business interactions through relationships, marketing, and promotion.
- Other duties as assigned.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Post-secondary education in fundraising/business, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- 2 -3 years’ working experience in the fundraising area (events, campaigns, and working with volunteers), preferably in a multi-level organization within diverse communities. Supervisory experience is an asset.
- Ability to work independently and on various tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated experience in overseeing tasks of others and to work with others on a job to achieve the best results.
- Must be highly motivated and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
- Good oral and written communication, interpersonal and presentation skills. Ability to speak to groups of people in a variety of settings.
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving and good judgement.
- Demonstrated time-management and organizational skills. Flexibility with changing priorities and ability to remain focused to meet targeted timelines.
- Proficient in MS Office (Outlook/Word/Excel).
- Demonstrated experience in using databases and ability to be able to train on databases; and the ability to learn and adapt to new technology.
- Access to reliable transportation to and from work, as well as for the attendance of events and meetings within the community, is a requirement for this position.
- A clear Criminal Background Check will be required.
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least 14 days prior to their first day of work, subject to relevant accommodations or exemptions.
YOUR WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Primary responsibilities are carried out in Chapter Office and remotely, however you may be regularly required to be out of the office for in-person meetings with sponsors and donors, for site visits, and for attending events in the community.
- Required to work outside of regular office hours during peak event season.
- Works under pressure at peak times of the year with tight deadlines, high volume workload, and with changing and overlapping priorities.
- Works under a high degree of pressure on day of events to ensure logistics and all aspects of events are carried out successfully.
- Emotional situations in dealing with wish recipients and families facing life threatening conditions or illnesses, in palliative care, and end-of-life stages.
- Physical activity may include lifting of boxes with materials (up to 20kg), setting up equipment, etc.
Our Commitment to IDEA
Make-A-Wish Canada (MAWC) is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access (IDEA). We believe that it is essential to our mission that we build a diverse, balanced, and vibrant workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve and seek to serve. Research has shown that candidates from underrepresented groups often only apply when they feel 100% qualified. Therefore, we ask that even if you do not see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on this posting, to still apply.
How to apply
If everything you’ve read so far sounds like you, we encourage you to apply now!
Make-A-Wish Canada provides equal opportunity in employment and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Reasonable accommodations due to disability are available on request at any stage of the hiring process.
Our recruitment process is swift in pace. Once applications are reviewed, we will contact our shortlisted candidates. Our typical process includes a phone screen, one or two interviews, and reference checking, followed by an offer and a criminal background check for the successful candidate.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in working with us!
ABOUT MAKE-A-WISH® CANADA
Since 1983, Make-A-Wish Canada has granted over 38,500 wishes across the country, over 1000 last year alone. As an independently operating affiliate of Make-A-Wish International, Make-A-Wish Canada is part of the network of the world’s leading children’s wish-granting organization. We serve children in every community in Canada, and in more than 50 countries worldwide.
JOIN OUR ONLINE COMMUNITY
For more information on how you can support Make-A-Wish® Canada or get involved please visit our website at makeawish.ca.
- Pay Type Salary
- Edmonton, AB, Canada