"The best prescription I've ever given is a wish."
-Dr. Jeremy Friedman, Associate Paediatrician-in-Chief, SickKids Hospital & Medical Advisor for Make-A-Wish® Canada
WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST WISH?
Is it to be part of an organization that is child-focused, values employee experience and is an inspiring workplace? If so, Make-A-Wish is for you!
Make-A-Wish® Canada creates life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. We are on a quest to bring every eligible child's wish to life because a wish is an integral part of a child's treatment journey. Research shows children who have wishes granted can build the physical and emotional strength they need to fight a critical illness.
“It’s been wonderful to have this wish to look forward to... It’s wonderful to see [Rowan] with something that brings him pure joy after all he’s been through and missed out on!”
–Melissa, mom to wish kid Rowan (age 5, leukemia), who wished for an indoor jungle gym.
MISSION, VISION AND VALUES
Our mission is, together, we create life-changing wishes for children with critical illness. Supported by our vision to grant the wish of every eligible child.
Our values are Child-Focused, Integrity, Impact, Innovation, and Community.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Meaningful opportunities to make an impact and change the lives of children with critical illnesses within your community and across Canada
- A collaborative team environment where you feel valued and inspired
- An attractive compensation package that includes group health and dental premiums which are fully covered by the Foundation, RRSP, & Wish paid hours
- Annual vacation starting at three weeks & additional paid leaves
- Work/life balance and flexibility
- Hybrid working environment
- Employee Wellness Program
- Corporate discounts
- Continuous learning, development and internal training opportunities
- Fun employee activities, contests, and more!
Make-A-Wish® Canada is committed to fostering a culture that aims to change lives while offering a rewarding employment experience where your contributions make a true difference every day!
WHERE YOU COME IN
We are looking for a Manager, Development to join our team at Make-A-Wish Canada. Reporting to the Chapter Director and working closely with the National Corporate Development team, they are responsible for the strategy, management, and implementation of the full events lifecycle for Make-A-Wish Canada's first party events in BC & Yukon in order to support the growth of our 3-year strategic plan: securing sponsorship, corporate commitments, signature fundraising, and donor relations.
This role is located in Vancouver and is a full-time, permanent, hybrid position.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Fundraising & Donor Relations
- Drive revenues (first party events, sponsorships, corporate partnerships, signature campaigns) by sourcing, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and closing fundraising opportunities.
- Create and maintain a robust pipeline, identifying opportunities for yearly and multi-year pledges and commitments, securing net new revenue, and stewarding existing relationships.
- In collaboration with the Development officer, identify opportunities for new and existing Gift-In-Kind donations (e.g., sponsorships for event décor, silent auction, prizes, food and drinks, entertainment, supplies, equipment, venues, etc.)
- Develop and execute annual plans for achieving revenue targets.
- Work in collaboration with Chapter Director and chapter team to develop and execute short-term and long-term development goals for the chapter, ensuring increased revenue year-over-year.
- Continuously research market data/information and seize potential opportunities.
- Ensures all fundraising initiatives and donor cultivation is in keeping with relevant Foundation policies and practices.
- Strengthens and grows revenue development opportunities with existing donors through cultivation and implementation of strategies and ensuring that the business objectives of both the organization and the corporate partners are aligned.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with stakeholders (National Office, volunteers, suppliers, sponsors, donors, media, and community liaisons) to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of assigned fundraising initiatives.
- Event Logistics
- With support from Development Officer, manage all logistical requirements for major chapter first party events and campaigns, including Make-A-Wish Golf Classic, Wishes on the Roof, and Women for Wishes Campaign.
- Work with the marketing team to provide input in the development and design of marketing and promotional material, including chapter specific social media, campaign/event print materials, and other materials related to events under their portfolio.
- Provide leadership support with the Chapter Director to event committees as required to ensure success of events (e.g., guidance, materials, staff/volunteers, timelines, etc.).
- Work in collaboration with Wish
- Manage event volunteers for all donor-related events.
- Manage the post-event stewardship process for all donor-related initiatives.
- Communication and Administration
- Act as an ambassador and spokesperson for the Foundation, specifically when communicating at events and with donors and other stakeholders.
- Utilize strong administrative and computer skills to complete all administrative and data management tasks associated with fundraising on a timely basis. This includes MS Office skills (Word/Excel/Outlook/PowerPoint/Teams) and using Salesforce and Donor Drive to input and track donor activities.
- Manage expenses to the approved budget, making efforts to minimize expenses and reduce administrative and fundraising ratios wherever possible.
- Continuously work to increase awareness of MAWC through all contacts and business interactions through relationships, marketing, and promotion.
- Staff Management Accountabilities
- Assist the direct supervisor in recruiting, engaging and retaining qualified employees to meet business priorities.
- Provide leadership, management, and support to the Development Officer
- Financial Accountabilities
- Ensure department adherence to financial policies and controls.
- Determine expense projections as part of the budgeting and forecasting process for assigned fundraising activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
WHAT YOU BRING
- 5+ years of progressive events experience gained from a similar fundraising environment.
- Post-secondary education in events, fundraising, business, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and relevant work experience. CFRE designation or working towards is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver outstanding service and an exceptional events experience to donors and friends of an organization.
- Deep understanding of the non-profit development landscape is a must.
- Driven, energetic, self-motivated, results-oriented events professional, with passion for innovative and spectacular events experiences.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple logistical priorities.
- Proven self-starter, with deep sales experience, who is passionately driven to carry projects to completion and exceed targets with minimal supervision and, while also being able to work collaboratively in a team.
- Demonstrated high degree of skill and success in strategic business development, specifically the ability to forge, manage, and maintain strong and authentic partnerships with new donors, while growing the value of existing donor base.
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills with a natural affinity towards collaboration, exercising sound judgement, and building trust with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to lead a team and coach others to achieve common goals.
- General financial management acumen to meet/exceed revenue targets, ability to manage operations within an established budget, knowledge of government receipting requirements.
- Exceptional written, editing, oral and presentation skills. Bilingual (English, Cantonese/Mandarin, and Hindi/Punjabi) language skills an asset.
- Access to reliable transportation, to and from work, as well as for attending events, donor and sponsor visits, and other physical meetings in the community is a requirement.
- A clear Criminal Background Check is required.
- Fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least 14 days prior to their first day of work, subject to relevant accommodations or exemptions.
YOUR WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Hybrid work environment (2 days in-office, 3 days remote per week): responsibilities are carried out in the Chapter Office and remotely, however, you will be regularly required to be out of the office for visits with sponsors and donors, for site visits, and attending events in the community.
- Given the nature of events, may work irregular hours including evenings and weekends.
- Works under high degree of pressure on day of events to ensure logistics and all aspects of events are carried out successfully.
- Emotional situations in dealing with wish recipients and families facing life threatening conditions or illnesses, in palliative care, and end-of-life stages.
- Demonstrates emotional resiliency to be able to conduct cold-calls and continue to develop donor relations.
- Works under pressure with multiple tight deadlines, demands, high volume workload, and dynamic/overlapping priorities.
Our Commitment to IDEA
Make-A-Wish Canada (MAWC) is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access (IDEA). We believe that it is essential to our mission that we build a diverse, balanced, and vibrant workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve and seek to serve. Research has shown that candidates from underrepresented groups often only apply when they feel 100% qualified. Therefore, we ask that even if you do not see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on this posting, to still apply.
How to apply
If everything you’ve read so far sounds like you, we encourage you to apply now!
Make-A-Wish Canada provides equal opportunity in employment and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Reasonable accommodations due to disability are available on request at any stage of the hiring process.
Our recruitment process is swift in pace. Once applications are reviewed, we will contact our shortlisted candidates. Our typical process includes a phone screen, one or two interviews, and reference checking, followed by an offer and a criminal background check for the successful candidate.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in working with us!
ABOUT MAKE-A-WISH® CANADA
Since 1983, Make-A-Wish Canada has granted over 38,500 wishes across the country, over 1000 last year alone. As an independently operating affiliate of Make-A-Wish International, Make-A-Wish Canada is part of the network of the world’s leading children’s wish-granting organization. We serve children in every community in Canada, and in more than 50 countries worldwide.
JOIN OUR ONLINE COMMUNITY
For more information on how you can support Make-A-Wish® Canada or get involved please visit our website at makeawish.ca.
- Pay Type Salary
- Vancouver, BC, Canada