Software Engineering Team Lead- Development
In 1977, OSI introduced the first generation electronic chart system for the maritime market and revolutionized navigation. Over the years we have had many firsts. Today, OSI Maritime Systems is a leading provider of integrated navigation and tactical solutions designed for naval and maritime security operations. Among those solutions, the company develops and delivers integrated bridge systems for warships, integrated dived navigation systems for submarines, and C2 systems for small craft. Presently, 23 navies totaling more than 600 warships and submarines operate using OSI systems. Due to the nature of our company, all employees must pass specific security criteria. Only candidates who are Canadian citizens, have PR status or have a citizenship from a NATO country, and who satisfy security clearance criteria, will be considered.
The Software Team Lead at OSI has the primary responsibility of providing leadership of an engineering team to ensure quality assurance of the software products. The Software Team Lead supports the Software Engineering Manager in cultivating and maintaining an optimal software engineering program and is a key contributor and leader in the hiring, training, and professional guidance to their team members.
The Lead will demonstrate professionalism and instill the idea of integrity and ownership on their team. The Lead is available to assist their team members and build team morale. The Lead will grow and mentor their team, and also handle conflicts and poor performance issues.
The Software Team Lead demonstrates strong communication skills and interpersonal skills. The Lead will plan work to address Department improvements and objectives. The lead will delegate the work, and motivate the team to complete the work on time and on budget providing regular reports to management.
- Serve as the lead to a team of assigned employees, supervising their professional careers.
- Actively assist team members with the resolution of professional problems and removing roadblock so they can do their job to the best o their ability.
- Mentor and develop employee’s technical skill set within their team to ensure ongoing professional growth and skill advancement.
- Scope, estimate, organize and plan the work packages for the department improvements and objectives, providing details that ensure the work is done correctly the first time.
- Collaborate with other Leads, Managers, and Work Groups to ensure the successful release of the OSI product line and the growth and well-being of the Software Engineering staff.
- Instill the OSI best practices for software engineering to their team.
- Ensure documented process is understood and followed.
- Chair team meetings and lead team building activities.
- Build a strong team work culture and advocate on behalf of their team.
- Escalate problems to the Software Manager that cannot be resolved at the team level.
- Report team status weekly and problems to the Software Manager.
- Assist with CAR resolution, and process improvements.
- Support recruitment efforts to hire new team members.
- Prepare skills analysis and performance feedback for team members.
- Assist with the creation of new process and training content.
- Complete administrative tasks such as timesheets, vacation approvals, flex time approvals, attendance reporting, overhead reporting and all other administrative tasks related to the supervision of staff.
- May prepare, provide or support compensation reviews to team members.
- May prepare, provide and support performance improvement plans for team members.
- Ensure that Company engineering and ISO 9001 procedures and policies are adhered to at all times and all exceptions are immediately reported to the Software Engineering Manager
- Ensure compliance with workplace operating, environmental, health and safety procedures and guidelines
- Applies judgment and makes decisions to solve routine or complex issues
- Authorized to provide reviews of performance and skills assessment.
- Timely, prudent judgment to make course corrections, or find work arounds.
- This role has the authority and responsibility to assure team members are following documented best practices and procedures.
- Education: Degree in Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering or Engineering Physics
- Experience: Min 10 years’ experience in a software environment leading a team of a minimum of 5 engineers or more; Experience in an area of specialization either Development or Testing; Experience working in an ISO 9001 compliant software engineering environment would be an asset
- Skills: Experience with leading Teams including technical leadership including the planning and delegation of work. Organizing and mentoring a team to successfully deliver tasks on budget and on time. Expertise with documentation and a strong understanding of the software engineering process. Experience with chairing meetings, and running one on one meetings. Experience providing difficult feedback and conflict resolution. Excellent verbal and written communication skills; Ability to learn quickly and work well under pressure in a high paced, challenging environment; Strong team work skills; Knowledge of marine navigation concepts and systems is an asset
At OSI you can make a difference. We are a change willing organization that is always looking for new ideas. We strive to improve what it is we do and how we do it. If you have ideas we would love to hear about them.
OSI fosters an inclusive and diverse culture. We celebrate our diversity and strive to be more inclusive
because it makes us a better company.
Should you require assistance and or accommodations during the hiring process, please contact Talent Acquisition, OSI.
We also offer great benefits:
- Extended healthcare
- Dental care
- Group Retirement Savings Plan
- Emergency Travel Assistance
- Employee and Family Assistance Program
- Pay Type Salary
- OSI Maritime Systems (CA), Suite 400 - 4585 Canada Way, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada