Lifeguard & Swim Instructor - Collingwood YMCA
Reporting to Child, Youth & Aquatic Supervisor the Lifeguard/Swim Instructor will assist, as a member of the department staff team, in ensuring service excellence in all Aquatic Program spaces and will assist in the safe operation of these programs and spaces; ensuring the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka regulations, National YMCA standards, Provincial Standards (health regulation) and SAM expectations are met.
The Lifeguard/Swim Instructor will give direct leadership to programs and services that include maintaining a safe aquatic environment at all times, educating the public regarding safe swimming habits and providing progressive swimming instruction in the YMCA aquatic system. Direct instruction and leadership in Family and Adult programming may also be included.
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka and the YMCA in Canada.
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to serving the membership, facility users and all program participants of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka.
- Provides instructional swimming lessons to various age groups following established curriculum.
- Plan, organize and implement core lesson plans/daily lesson plans, progress reports and evaluations.
- Maintain accurate, up to date progress sheets and records for participants; keep Daily Log up to date and accurate.
- Set up and take down recreational, program and other equipment as required – at the same time checking that equipment is safe and in good repair (reporting immediately all malfunctions and removing the damaged equipment immediately from circulation).
- Complete a safety check of lifesaving equipment prior to each shift. Assist staff team in some cleaning duties related to pool and equipment.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association.
- Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Understands the importance of the volunteer staff partnership and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism in dealings with members, volunteers, donors and staff.
- Adherence to all provincial and federal legislation relevant to job description.
- Other duties as assigned.
- National Lifeguard Program Award
- Standard First Aid & CPR “C”
- YMCA and/or Red Cross / Swim Instructor certification
- YMCA Aquatic Fitness Certification or equivalent an asset
- Current WHMIS certification an asset
- One to three months of previous experience in lifeguarding and swim instruction an asset
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with members of different cultural and racial backgrounds, including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Flexibility regarding assigned hours of work, including early mornings, days, evenings and weekends
- Child Protection orientation
- AODA training
- Health & Safety Awareness training
- Bill 168 (Violence & Harassment in the Workplace) training
- PCI Compliance
- Must be able to work flexible hours based on client needs
- Clear Police reference Check & Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Mandated training is required before or shortly after commencement of work
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. Individuals needing employment accommodation in the hiring process or job postings in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that successful candidates will be required to submit a current and satisfactory Police Record with Vulnerable Sector Screen and three professional references for review prior to starting employment.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Collingwood, ON, Canada