Immigrant Services - Settlement Worker
Reporting to the Team Leader of Immigrant Services this Settlement Worker would deliver 1:1 counselling to Immigrants in Simcoe County. The Settlement Worker will be responsible for delivering workshops within our organization and within the community of Simcoe County.
In this role, you will:
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka and the YMCA in Canada
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to serving the membership, facility users and all program participants of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka
- Conduct needs assessment s and action plans for Immigrant Clients
- Deliver Workshops to students attending English Language Classes
- Build collaborative working relationships with funding partners and other community partners through ongoing reports, communication and visits
- Prepare and coordinate all monthly statistics on our Data Base and Government Website
- Provide individual and/or group counselling for the Immigrants in our community
- Consult with social services and various community agencies to ensure effective coordination and provision of services
- Ensure all administrative duties, reporting, and file management, are completed in an accurate and timely manner
- Conduct needs assessments and provide referrals as appropriate for International Students
- Complete and maintain client files as per government and YMCA quality standards
- Research, collect and organize up-to-date settlement-related information using knowledge and skills related to barriers facing International Students and Immigrants
- Relevant University Degree or College Diploma or equivalent settlement training/work experience
- Previous experience working with newcomers, providing settlement counselling with a strong understanding of the immigration process
- Demonstrated knowledge of settlement services and community information resources, barriers facing newcomers/ immigrants including physical, emotional, social and financial issues
- Strong computer skills including knowledge on Prezi, Microsoft Office and effective internet research techniques
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills to facilitate and organize group information sessions for clients and individual 1:1 support as needed
- Strong relationship building skills to ensure all Immigrants are welcomed
- Ability to develop an immigration and settlement plan
- Strong knowledge of community network and accessing supports and resources on immigration options
- Understanding of different cultures and cultural practices
- Ability to communicate in another language is an asset
- Willingness to participate in mandated training to be completed before or shortly after commencement of work including:
- AODA Training
- Health & Safety Awareness Training
- Bill 168 (Violence & Harassment in the Workplace) Training
- PCI Compliance
Why work for the Y:
At the YMCA of Simcoe Muskoka, we believe in creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all members and staff. As a Settlement Worker you will have the opportunity to make a positive impact in the lives of our members and the community. You will work alongside a supportive team of individuals who are committed to our mission of building healthy communities.
- Compensation $24.89/hour
- Extended Health benefits after 90 days
- Paid sick time
- Wellness day
- YMCA Health and Fitness membership
- Pension Plan after 2 years
In addition to a competitive salary and benefits package, we offer ongoing training and development opportunities to help you grow professionally and personally. If you're looking for a challenging and rewarding career, working with a diverse team where your own ideas will be heard, then the YMCA of Simcoe Muskoka is the perfect place for you.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka is a registered charity committed to fostering healthy communities by empowering children, youth, and families, promoting well-being, and encouraging social responsibility.
Our YMCA employs over a thousand staff and hundreds of volunteers who serve tens of thousands of individuals each year in various programs such as childcare, camps, health and fitness, leadership development, employment and literacy, immigrant services, and youth programming. We offer over $1 million in financial assistance annually to ensure accessibility for those who cannot afford to participate.
Beyond facilities and programs, covering Simcoe County, Muskoka and Parry Sound Districts, our YMCA is a supportive community that fosters mental, emotional, and physical well-being. We empower children and youth to become strong, confident, and resilient individuals. We assist individuals and families at all stages of life to connect with what matters most to them, fostering a sense of belonging. By supporting people from diverse backgrounds, ages, and abilities to achieve their health goals, fulfill their potential, and feel a genuine sense of belonging, we contribute to the creation of stronger communities.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka successfully raises over $1 million each year through strategic campaigns.
Applications will remain open until September 22, 2023.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that successful candidates will be required to submit a current and satisfactory Police Record with Vulnerable Sector Screen and three professional references for review prior to starting employment.
- Pay Type Salary
- Hiring Rate $24.89
- Travel Required Yes
- Job Start Date October 23, 2023
- Alliston, New Tecumseth, ON, Canada