Aquatic Programs - Aquatic Deck Supervisor
The Aquatic Deck Supervisor will be responsible for ensuring service excellence in YMCA Aquatic Swim Programs and will oversee the supervision and safe operation of these programs, ensuring the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka regulations, National YMCA standards, Provincial Standards (health regulation) and SAM 2.0 expectations are met. The Deck Supervisor will also provide direct program delivery and leadership as required.
In this role, you will:
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka and the YMCA in Canada
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to serving the membership, facility users and all program participants of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka
- Ensures that all staff adhere to and demonstrate standards and expectations of YMCA Aquatics programs and as outlined by the Aquatic Supervisor throughout the duty period
- Monitors the safety of all swim lessons throughout the duty period and respond immediately to rectify all safety concerns
- Continuously build relationships with all of the staff and volunteers that are on shift during the duty period. Coaches and develops swim instructors on an ongoing basis to ensure quality program delivery
- Deals effectively and professionally with YMCA members concerns, program coverage gaps that may arise and any other challenges during the duty period that must be brought to a resolution
- Acts as a liaison to the Manager on Duty with respect to any Program inquiries, specifically related to registration
- Demonstrates leadership by being visible and approachable while supervising lessons and maintaining a strong presence to staff / volunteers and members
- Completes any other duties as assigned by the Aquatic Supervisor or by other support staff ensuring that the responsibilities help YMCA members/staff/volunteers/ other departments
- Adherence to all provincial and federal legislation relevant to job description
- National Lifeguard Program Award
- Standard First Aid & CPR “C”
- YMCA and/or Red Cross / Lifesaving Instructor certification preferred
- YMCA Aquatic Fitness Certification or equivalent an asset
- Current WHMIS certification an asset
- Minimum six months to a year experience in lifeguarding and swim instruction or as determined by Supervisor
- Demonstrated experience in effective coaching and development skills
- Flexibility regarding assigned hours of work, including early mornings, evenings and weekends
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers; excellent written communication skills
- Clear Police Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Willingness to participate in mandated training to be completed before or shortly after commencement of work including:
- AODA Training
- Health & Safety Awareness Training
- Bill 168 (Violence & Harassment in the Workplace) Training
- PCI Compliance
Why work at the Y:
At the YMCA of Simcoe Muskoka, we believe in creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all members and staff. As an Aquatic Deck Supervisor, you will have the opportunity to make a positive impact in the lives of our members and the community. You will work alongside a supportive team of individuals who are committed to our mission of building healthy communities.
- Compensation $18.50/ Hour
- Paid sick time
- Wellness day
- YMCA Health and Fitness membership
- Pension Plan after 2 years
In addition to a competitive salary and benefits package, we offer ongoing training and development opportunities to help you grow professionally and personally. If you're looking for a challenging and rewarding career, working with a diverse team where your own ideas will be heard, then the YMCA of Simcoe Muskoka is the perfect place for you.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka is a registered charity committed to fostering healthy communities by empowering children, youth, and families, promoting well-being, and encouraging social responsibility.
Our YMCA employs over a thousand staff and hundreds of volunteers who serve tens of thousands of individuals each year in various programs such as childcare, camps, health and fitness, leadership development, employment and literacy, immigrant services, and youth programming. We offer over $1 million in financial assistance annually to ensure accessibility for those who cannot afford to participate.
Beyond facilities and programs, covering Simcoe County, Muskoka and Parry Sound Districts, our YMCA is a supportive community that fosters mental, emotional, and physical well-being. We empower children and youth to become strong, confident, and resilient individuals. We assist individuals and families at all stages of life to connect with what matters most to them, fostering a sense of belonging. By supporting people from diverse backgrounds, ages, and abilities to achieve their health goals, fulfill their potential, and feel a genuine sense of belonging, we contribute to the creation of stronger communities.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka successfully raises over $1 million each year through strategic campaigns.
Applications will remain open until filled.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that successful candidates will be required to submit a current and satisfactory Police Record with Vulnerable Sector Screen and three professional references for review prior to starting employment.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $18.50
- Travel Required No
- Job Start Date October 2, 2023
- Gravenhurst, ON, Canada