Jr Controls Engineer
Job Title: Junior Controls Engineer
Department: Reliability and Innovation
Reporting to: Reliability Manager
Greenfield is looking for a Junior Controls Engineer to join our growing team.
This position is responsible for developing control system narratives, cause and effect diagrams, instrumentation and electrical schematics, control system configuration, process P&IDs, design specifications for equipment, and instrumentation necessary for capital projects at the Chatham site. In addition, this position supports the Chatham facility in meeting daily production targets, efficiencies, and KPIs, and is responsible for the long-term automation viability of the site. The role will incorporate industry best practices and standardizations into designs and be a key member in maintaining plant standards.
Who We Are:
Greenfield Global is a leading producer and supplier of high-value, mission-critical raw materials, ingredients, and additives that are vital to businesses and integral to a lower-carbon economy. From start-ups to the largest brands in the world, customers trust Greenfield’s extensive portfolio of premium products, regulatory expertise, and industry-leading service to improve people’s lives and the health of the planet.
We own and operate five distilleries, four specialty chemical manufacturing and packaging plants, and three next-generation biofuel and renewable energy R&D centers. This integrated model enhances supply chain transparency, quality control, custom formulation development, and ultimately customer satisfaction.
Why Join Greenfield?
We innovate, collaborate, and work with purpose. By unlocking the potential of people, partnerships, and nature to accelerate sustainable solutions for the health of the planet, our work has a positive impact on the environment around the world. We’re always looking for people who can bring new talents and experience to our team.
Who You Are:
- Demonstrate commitment to safety, environmental practices, production targets, and quality standards
- Team-oriented individual with strong communication skills and the ability to collaborate across departments
- A self-motivated and forward-thinking individual who is resourceful and practical with demonstrated problem-solving skills. Strong organizational skills and capable of managing multiple priorities and projects
- Punctual, Trustworthy, and Flexible
- Dedicated to business objectives and continuous improvement through adaptability, innovation, and agility
- Possesses Company values of Honesty, Integrity, Respect, and Commitment, coupled with the ability to accept and drive change.
Your Experience Should Include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical, Electrical or Computer Engineering with P.Eng. designation or working towards. Electrical Engineering Technologist with industrial experience will be considered
- 2-5 years of related experience in the chemical or petro chemical industries desired. Prior leadership experience is an asset
- Prior work experience with the following platforms is an asset:
- Aveva PI software such as PI Systems Explorer, SMT, PI Manual Logger, PI Vision, PI data link, and PI Builder
- Schneider products including Concept, Proworx 32, Unity Pro, Magelis, Foxboro IDE Galaxy/HISSQL/PI, Foxview, ControlHMI
- AC Drives including Eaton SVX drives, Siemens drives, ABB ACS series, Allan Bradley Power Flex (Standard, and Motion Control, Kinetix Motion Control)
- Protocols/Comms (PuTTy, Modbus TCP/IP, GOOSE, OPC UA/DA/HDA, DDE, PROFINET, Modbus Plus, Serial Modbus over RS485 and RS232, DF1, DH+, Rockwell ControlNet/DeviceNet, and PROFIBUS)
- Allen Bradley Rockwell Automation (RSLogix5000, Studio5000, RSLogix500, RSLogix5, Factory Talk View -Studio, Thinmanager, RSView32, Guardlogix/Controllogix, Compactlogix/Flexlogix, RSNetwork)
- Cisco and Ntron switch configuration, and virtualization of networks
- Programming knowledge in sequential function chart, ladder logic, instruction list, function block, HLBL as per IEC 61131-3 standards, additionally C++, Excel VBA, and SQL data bases
- Exposure to SIL rated automation equipment
- Experience with ETAP
- Experience with Hyper-V and VMware.
- Comply with all Company health and safety, environmental, and quality policies and regulatory requirements
- Develop a thorough knowledge of the control systems and the interrelationship between instrumentation, automation electronics, programable controllers, and human-machine interfaces
- Exposure to Operational Technology IoT, including DCS and PLC network topology design, managed switches, data center design, cybersecurity best practices, and graphic development for server and HMI applications
- Pursue the implementation of Aveva PI development and be an active member of the corporate peer group to promote best practices between the sites. Create and maintain reporting dashboards
- Optimize the stability of the process controls by fine tuning control loops through the application of modeling of PID algorithms
- Evaluate, prioritize and manage change requests from employees for the control systems (PLC, DCS)
- Support the maintenance of standards and document changes made in different automated tools (PLC, DCS)
- In collaboration with the Controls Engineer, support the implementation of new projects including the commissioning of instrumentation and programming of the DCS
- Support all aspects of the Foxboro system (DCS) on site including the maintenance of the system, the design and implementation of the multi phases upgrade project
- Support all aspects of the PLC systems on site including maintenance and integration with the DCS system
- Support all aspects of the load shed program including maintenance, training, testing and optimization
- Support all aspects of VFD’s and Inteli MCCs; troubleshoot and provide commissioning assistance for new VFD
- Adheres to and supports the MOC process. Mentors site on MOC workflow, maintains appropriate documentation and trains users on the effective use of the tools
- Support the production team; develop an understanding of each process area and the interrelationships for specific area of optimization including: workflows, throughput, yield, energy, chemical consumption and cost performance. Review existing processes, analyze data, troubleshoot with, and provide technician assistance to the production team in the field
- Support the I&E maintenance team; collaborate with, troubleshoot and support the electrical controls and automation requirements of the plant
- Participate in continuous improvement initiatives, including Root Cause Analysis, HAZOP, and design review
- Other duties and responsibilities aligned to business objectives and in support of our core principles.
Total Compensation & Care:
- Base salary dependent on experience and demonstrated performance
- Formal and informal training opportunities
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits
- Income protection: short- and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, paid personal sick time
- Vacation time exceeding industry standards
- Company funded retirement savings program with individual contribution opportunities
- Meaningful and challenging work
- Curated intentional culture focused on growth and development, engagement, and communication
- Openness to Change
- Innovation: We are constantly seizing opportunities to develop new products, processes and methods to meet the diverse and demanding requirements of our customers
- Collaboration: We are part catalyst, part collaborator. We work with partners to get the most out of our existing products, and to develop custom solutions for our customer requirements
- Responsibility: Our commitment to give back to local communities in the US and Canada goes beyond the bottom line. We give back to the planet by processing renewable resources into low carbon fuels and chemicals
- Agility: Our team is not only fast, we have the flexibility and creativity to pivot with customer needs to develop custom-made, on-time solutions
- Discipline: At every plant, and for every customer, for every shipment, we put quality first. We operate a tight, transparent supply chain while meeting the highest regulatory standards.
- Pay Type Salary
- Chatham, ON, Canada