VP - Legal, Contracts & Government Relations
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Closing Date: November 17, 2023
The big picture:
Have your career take off with us! As Vice President – Legal, Contracts & Government Relations, you are a member of AirSprint’s leadership team and a chief legal advisor for the company. You play a critical role in safeguarding the company's legal interests, managing contracts effectively, and supporting government relations initiatives. With a passion for people and service, the Vice President – Legal, Contracts & Government Relations will be actively involved in decision making throughout the company while working closely with the CEO and other Vice Presidents.
In this role you will:
Oversee all legal files, including the management of external legal providers. Examples include:
Legal Strategy and Guidance:
- Develop and implement legal strategies aligned with the company's goals and objectives.
- Advise the executive team on legal matters related to business operations, contracts, intellectual property, employment, and more.
- Provide proactive counsel on legal issues affecting the company's success and reputation.
- Monitor and interpret changes in relevant laws and regulations that may impact the company's operations.
- Design and implement compliance programs to ensure adherence to legal requirements.
- Assess potential legal risks and develop risk mitigation strategies.
- Provide guidance on crisis management and support in the event of legal emergencies.
- Reporting to the CFO in this area, oversee and manage the fractional Owner contract process, including but not limited to; contract details, contracts team, creation and management of new/renewing/terminating contracts, interaction with prospects/fractional Owners for legal questions.
- Review, draft, and negotiate and manage a wide range of contracts and agreements with vendors, partners, and other stakeholders – including contracts and agreements relating to aircraft acquisition and disposition.
- Ensure that contracts protect the company's interests and align with legal standards and requirements.
Litigation and Dispute Resolution:
- Manage and oversee any litigation and legal disputes involving the company.
- Collaborate with external legal counsel when necessary and represent the company's interests in court proceedings.
Intellectual Property Protection:
- Safeguard the company's intellectual property rights, including patents, trademarks, and copyrights.
- Initiate actions against potential infringement and defend the company's IP when required.
- Develop and implement comprehensive government relations strategies to advance the company’s priorities, objectives, and policy goals. This includes monitoring legislative and regulatory developments, identifying potential impacts on the company, and formulating appropriate responses.
- Cultivate and maintain positive relationships with elected officials, government agencies, and key decision-makers. Represent the company in meetings, hearings, and events, effectively conveying the company’s position and promoting collaboration.
- Conduct in-depth research and analysis of proposed legislation, regulations, and government initiatives. Provide timely and accurate updates to internal stakeholders, enabling informed decision-making.
- Contribute to the overall strategic direction and business growth plan, with specific focus on the legal aspects of the business.
- Be an active and visible leader in the organization.
- Share the corporate Vision and be a role model for AirSprint’s Values.
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned by the CEO.
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- A degree from an accredited law school and a valid license to practice law in Alberta.
- Seven years of experience as a practicing lawyer, with a significant portion in a corporate legal department or reputable law firm.
- A proven track record of providing strategic legal counsel and leadership to executive teams and board members.
- In-depth knowledge of corporate law, compliance, regulatory matters, and litigation.
- Strong negotiation, contract drafting, and analytical skills.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal abilities.
- The ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities, and meet tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated integrity, ethical behavior, and commitment to upholding legal and professional standards.
- Strong people leadership and development skills and experience.
- Experience in high-growth environments.
- Strong business and financial experience.
- High energy, personable, builder, team player, with a roll-up the sleeves and get things done mentality.
We think you’ll like working for us because:
- We care about your health and well-being and offer an employee assistance program, extended health care benefits, dental and vision benefits, and paid time off.
- We value your contribution to our success and provide a competitive salary and an RRSP matching program.
- We have a great team, and we work hard together toward common goals and with a passion for excellence.
- We offer family and friends flight benefits.
- We respect, honour, and celebrate the diversity of our employees as we know our differences make us better. Our core values of Community and People mean we’re focused on equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism, and reconciliation.
- We value Safety, which is why we require applicants to complete a background check assessment.
A passion for aviation and providing exceptional service formed the foundation of AirSprint's introduction of Fractional Jet Ownership to Canada in 2000. Today, each of our dedicated staff is passionate about delivering a private aviation experience that positively contributes to successful Canadians' personal and professional lives. We do this with values of "Safety, Service, People, Integrity, Humility, and Community."
AirSprint's mission is to provide successful Canadians with a better choice for optimizing their time by enhancing the private jet ownership experience with industry-leading safety standards, exceptional turn-key service, and increased flexibility, all at a fraction of the cost and personalized for their individual needs.
AirSprint values diversity in our workplace and wants to ensure every applicant is treated equitably and respectfully. If you require any support in the application process, including disability accommodation, please get in touch with Human Resources at humanresources@AirSprint.com.
- Pay Type Salary
- Calgary - Head Office, 35 McTavish Place NE, Calgary, Alberta, Canada