Mechanical Engineering Technologist
Please do not apply to this ad if you are a new grad, out of country or out of province.
5+ years design experience, required (heavy haul trailers, mobile equipment or construction equipment required)
Aspen thrives on taking on the biggest heavy haul design and manufacturing challenges in North America. Ready to roll where others fear to tread, the Aspen approach is built on a foundation of tenacity, perseverance, and unwavering determination – just like the people who use them. Aspen is a growing business looking for people with energy, drive and passion to contribute to our team.
The Intermediate Mechanical Technologist at Aspen holds a position on our engineering team that manages the entire product development cycle, from concept and design to manufacture. You will provide design and analysis in a multi-project environment designing heavy haul lowbed trailers and transporters including pneumatic, electrical, and hydraulic systems design. When you’re not designing, you’re investigating technical problems and finding solutions, responding to production and sales requests that only the engineering team can answer or out in the field learning how our customers use their trailers. Intermediate Level. Design and development or design modification, using a variety of standard engineering methods and techniques.
- Create 3D models of various parts and assemblies using SolidWorks
- Detail part and assembly manufacturing drawings based on cost effective manufacturing processes that will create a functional product.
- Conduct stress analysis and calculations of component parts to ensure design meets specifications.
- Responsible for routine technical decisions within established guidelines.
- Ongoing product design improvement.
- Works in the design and testing of a component of a larger design project.
- Diagnose and isolate malfunctions down to component level.
- Performs independent studies, analyses, interpretations and conclusions within the scope of various assigned projects.
- Write reports, procedures, product information, work instructions, service manuals as required on an ongoing basis.
- Build and foster excellent communications with fellow employees – specifically the Manufacturing Team, the Sales Team, and the Procurement Department
- Identify trends on inventory & parts supply and communicate to the Procurement Department
- Facilitate problem solving and process improvement work internally
- Ensure all company policies are communicated and enforced
Attributes and Skills
- Computer skills in CAD 3D modelling software SolidWorks preferred, 2D AutoCAD, Microsoft Office, Mathcad, ERP Software
- Mechanical design skills including stress analysis.
- Problem-solving and listening skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Patient disposition and ability to resolve conflicts
Experience and Education
- Mechanical Engineering Technology Diploma, required
- 5+ years design experience, required (mobile equipment and construction equipment preferred)
- Solid modeling experience, required
- FEA experience, preferred
- The work performed is carried out indoors in a regulated environment
- Regular exposure to industrial shop hazards which require additional protection from noise, fall hazards and air quality. Safety boots must be worn.
- Regular fast pace or work with tight deadlines
- A medium stress environment due to timelines
- Monday to Friday – 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
- Overtime available, ability to work longer hours when needed
- Competitive Wages
- Extended Health Care & Dental Benefits
- AD&D, Life and STD Disability Benefits
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Company supplied PPE equipment
- Great work life balance
- Safety Boot Allowance
- Year-round work
- Weekend and Over time work available
- Stable career
- Work close to home
- Family environment and company culture
- Job Family Engineering
- Pay Type Salary
- 3914 81 Ave, Leduc, AB T9E 0C3, Canada