GIDS - Support Engineer I
This position provides high quality solutions to customers to ensure their investment in technology is consistent with their business objectives by deploying, installing, upgrading, troubleshooting, and servicing client hardware/software. The Support Engineer will ensure that customers receive remote and on-site support, resolve all outstanding service issues within the committed response times, escalate any issues as necessary and be responsible for overall customer satisfaction.
- Perform product support activities involving installation, upgrading, repair, and preventative maintenance of PC components, printers, and scanners.
- Diagnose and use the appropriate tools to troubleshoot basic PC components, printers, and scanners.
- Be responsible for tracking, monitoring, and providing timely updates and complete documentation for open service incidents to ensure service level standards are met.
- Responsible for client communication (both verbal and electronic) including scheduling, updating of status, and communicating completion of service requests and incidents.
- Engage and work with the Service Desk and System Engineering team to troubleshoot and resolve incidents when appropriate.
- A professional, business-focused attitude and courteous manner towards clients, partners, and peers.
- Ability to work weekends and/or off hours as necessary to meet client’s needs.
- Attain appropriate product/vendor certifications to ensure continual growth in knowledge of equipment troubleshooting techniques and methodologies.
- Participate in regular staff meetings and communicate relevant information.
- Provide input to the development and / or enhancement of PDS tech support- and systems admin-related processes and tools.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ethical and Critical Thinking
- Ability to troubleshoot PC hardware/software and printer problems.
- Ability to perform duties with a client-centric attitude. Clients come to us by choice; we have a personal responsibility to maintain our client’s loyalty and trust.
- Innovative, team-oriented problem solver.
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision.
- Ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to provide detailed and complete documentation related to performance of duties.
- Ability to interact on a “face to face” basis with clients in a professional and courteous manner.
- An aptitude and enthusiasm to effectively adapt to rapidly changing technology and provide technical assistance in delivering and supporting that technology.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
Education and Experience:
- A degree in an applied technology area such as Information Systems or Engineering is preferred. Equivalent training and experience may be substituted.
- Experience troubleshooting and supporting technology hardware products, including PC hardware/software, laptops, and printers.
- Experience with application troubleshooting experience in Microsoft products and tools.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Comp TIA A+ is preferred.
- MCP certification desirable.
- Server +preferred.
- MCSA certification desirable.
- Other vendor certifications desirable.
- Individuals with experience but lacking the requisite credentials will be considered if judged to be able to obtain them within a reasonable timeframe.
Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
Must be able to to 15 pounds at times.
- Job Family Services
- Pay Type Hourly
- Travel Required Yes
- Travel % 100
- Chicago, IL, USA