Structural Engineer, Buildings
Are you a Structural Engineer interested in helping to creatively solve the problems that our clients pose? Does a variety of work such as sustainable builds, heritage sites and mass timber excite you? How about living in one of the most beautiful parts of the country and a great work/life integration? If any of this enticed you, we want to hear from you!
A Little About Us
We are engineers, technologists, planners, landscape architects, scientists, and their support teams that work together to deliver infrastructure, minimizing environmental impact and maximizing benefit to the community. We work hard and play hard because that is what #ISLLIFE is all about!
ISL’s Building’s Team works to deliver excellence for our clients, both internal and external. Committed to finding, mentoring, and growing the right individual, our team approach is integral to our success:
- Flexible – we are a results-oriented team. As a high functioning, remotely enabled group, we are not your typical 9-5; we allow for flexibility in how and where work gets done.
- Interesting work – Although we specialize in mass timber, we have a variety of projects including heritage buildings in national historic sites, high performing and sustainable architectural buildings, and recreation structures (pedestrian bridges, sky walks, and playgrounds)
- Entrepreneurial – we are a group of passionate individuals who work independently and as part of a team. We take initiative, run with ideas and collectively share in project success.
- Location – some of the most breath-taking scenery and active lifestyle that the Yukon has to offer.
A Little About You
Your cover letter must demonstrate:
- Your approach to creative problem solving and decision making
Your resume should show us:
- Registration as a P.Eng. or experienced E.I.T.
- Proficiency with structural analysis software (e.g., Risa, RFEM, WoodWorks Sizer or other similar)
- Working knowledge of structural design
- Proficiency in and application of structural theory, the National Building Code of Canada,and Canadian Design Standards (O86, S16, A23.3)
- Working knowledge of Bluebeam, Microsoft Word, and Excel
- Construction field experience
- Proficiency with 3D modeling software such as Revit or CADwork
- Experience with prefabrication of mass timber or light-frame structures and preparation of shop drawings for suppliers
- Experience with or interest in developing skills in heavy and mass timber design
- Understanding of cold climate design considerations and seismic design
A Little More About the Role
Your projects will primarily be located in the Yukon, but you will have the opportunity to work on multidisciplinary projects across all ISL offices.
- Preparing detailed structural engineering designs from concept, through tender to construction for a wide variety of projects including commercial, recreational, municipal, industrial, and residential buildings, in various structural materials (mass timber, light-frame wood, concrete, and steel).
- Assembling and reviewing structural deliverables in collaboration with other team members
Review and coordinate deliverables with other project team members including architectural, civil, landscape, process, mechanical, electrical, contractors and suppliers as each project requires
- Assume responsibility for structural design as Engineer of Record with adequate experience and qualifications
- Actively coaching, guiding and mentoring other team members
- Participating in project meetings
- Completing assessments and prepare reports for various buildings and structures
- Supporting construction administration objectives and perform field reviews, including travel to remote locations
- Performing peer reviews and design checks of work prepared by others with adequate experience
- Observing and maintaining quality assurance practices and documentation standards on all projects
- Actively participating in continuous improvement initiatives
- Assisting in the preparation of proposals in response to requests for our services
- Collaborating with, advising, and assisting team members in other groups and offices
- Creating and/or leveraging custom spreadsheets and other design tools
- Being a lifelong learner, stay current on industry trends and emerging technologies
- Other related duties as assigned
When submitting your application, please upload your cover letter and resume as one document.
At ISL your identity is part of our identity. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) speaks to our core values and provides space for our teams to bring their authentic selves to work. ISL believes DEI creates the best outcomes for our clients while sustaining a happy and thriving work environment that allows for career development and opportunities for all staff. ISL is committed to a focused effort on continuous improvement and development of a respectful and safe workplace.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position. Only those who will be selected for an interview will be contacted.
- 1114 Front St, Whitehorse, YT Y1A 1A3, Canada