Geotechnical Engineer / Civil Engineer
KCB Australia Pty Ltd (KCB) wishes to engage a full time Geotechnical Engineer / Civil Engineer to provide onsite quality assurance for a large tailings dam construction project in PNG. The candidate will have a background in civil or geotechnical engineering, with a strong emphasis on construction QAQC.
This is a PNG onsite rostered position where the successful candidate will be the KCB design representative monitoring earthworks construction and providing quality assurance support. During off-site rostered time the successful candidate would provide technical support to the design team based in the Brisbane office. The field and office roster times and will be agreed to in collaboration with the existing KCB project team members and the client.
Responsibilities will include:
- Adhering to KCB and the Client’s safety culture.
- Represent the design team as the eyes and ears in the field to monitor construction compliance against the design basis.
- Provide technical guidance to mine personnel involved in embankment construction and monitoring instrumentation data collection and interpretation.
- Technical reporting (daily, weekly and monthly reports and inspections).
- Client liaison, attending meetings on site, presenting design updates to clients and attending mine safety meetings on a regular basis.
- Advise construction superintendents during key or difficult construction activities in order to achieve compliance with design intent, technical specifications and/or construction drawings.
- Conducting geotechnical inspections on site to ensure statutory compliance and alignment with design standards.
- Complete detailed handover notes for cross-shift personnel.
- Provide technical support to project managers and technical leads.
- Technical reporting.
- Design modifications where appropriate based on the observation approach.
- Interaction with client representatives.
Key experience and attributes:
- Degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering.
- 5 years relevant technical experience (required to meet Institute of Engineers PNG professional registration).
- Earthworks construction QAQC experience in equatorial environments would be an advantage.
- Previous experience in PNG would be well regarded, but not a prerequisite.
- Capability with CAD and Microsoft package.
- Motivation and flexibility to work a FIFO roster.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a multinational team of professionals and contractors.
- 2.5% Additional superannuation.
- Income Protection Insurance.
- Training and development opportunities.
- Overtime is recognised for the site role.
- Flexible working hours when in the office
- Paid parental leave.
- Volunteer leave.
- Novated leasing.
- Additional incentives may be available dependent on performance of the company, business unit and individual.
Whilst on site, accommodation will be provided within the mine camp. The camp provides a full catering service with internet / cell communications. Flights will be provided exiting Brisbane with cost associated with travel (meals, accommodation, transfers) covered by KCB. As travel to PNG is a requirement of this role, the visa process will be managed by KCB with the candidates assistance.
KCB project work is challenging and varied, and there are significant opportunities for travel (in Australia as well as internationally). We are committed to employment equity and encourage applications from all qualified career seekers. We offer professional career development tracks and salaries commensurate with experience and an attractive benefits package.
Are you up to the challenge?
If this sounds like the perfect opportunity for you, simply apply on-line with your resume.
- Job Family Engineers
- Pay Type Salary
- 150 Mary St, Brisbane City QLD 4000, Australia