Gibsons - Support Worker (Casual)
RainCity Housing operates on the stolen, unceded, ancestral, traditional homelands of the Xʷməθkwəy̓əm, Sḵwx̱wú7mesh & səl̓ílwətaʔɬ Nations in so-called Vancouver, and the q̓íc̓əy̓, qʼʷa:n̓ƛʼən̓, kʷikʷəƛ̓əm, SEMYOME, shíshálh, ˈstɔːloʊ, sc̓əwaθən məsteyəxʷ and qiqéyt, Nations in the so-called Lower Mainland.
ABOUT US RainCity Housing is an organization that makes a difference in people’s lives. With a goal of providing a home for everyone, RainCity’s programs sustain relationships, strengthen communities and make change for people experiencing homelessness and mental health, trauma and substance use issues. We invite you to be a part of the change.
DIVERSITY RainCity Housing serves a diverse group of people and we need a staff group that reflects the diversity. People of diverse backgrounds and cultures are encouraged to apply.
Support Workers are an integral part of our team. They provide a wide range of supports to folks who are experiencing or at risk of experiencing homelessness, many of whom are living with mental illness, and substance use. Support Workers also provide daily supports including General cleaning duties, medication administration, building security, crisis intervention, health and recreational groups and general problem solving.
Using a strengths-based model, the Support Worker participates with tenants in the development and implementation of service plans, including: assessment; goal setting, achievement and review; resource acquisition; and support in the areas of daily living, financial, vocational/educational, social supports, health, harm reduction, culture, recovery and leisure/recreational supports.
JOB #: job2023.237
POSITION TITLE: Casual Relief Support Worker
PROGRAMS: Gibsons Modular Housing Program
SALARY: $30.64/hour (BCGEU grid 34) + $2.25/hour as a premium for overnight shifts.
POSITION TYPE: Casual Relief
SCHEDULE: This is a casual relief position. Casuals will be called in to work to cover vacancies as they arise. Our program run 24/7 365 days a year. We offer day evening and over night shifts which are generally 8 hours in length.
START DATE: as soon as possible
Gibsons Modular Housing provides several units of single room occupancy (SRO) housing to low-income individuals 19 years of age or older who live in the community, have a history of homelessness and who need additional support services to maintain housing. This supported housing program is staffed by a combination of support workers, including an Indigenous Cultural Liaison Support Worker and a Peer Services Support Worker.
We encourage anyone with interest in this role to apply. Many forms of education and experience are valued, including volunteering and lived expertise of mental illness / substance use / homelessness.
Minimum education and experience also include:
- A Diploma in community social services or other relevant training
- 1 year of related experience with emphasis on mental health, addictions, homelessness and/or social services.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification
- An equivalent combination of education and experience
Key Skills and Abilities – for supporting the folks we work with
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships
- Identify and work to increase people’s strengths
- Work with people using hope-inducing strategies
- Informally teach harm reduction, life skills
- Implement client-centered service plans
- Respond to problematic behaviour using an understanding of the behaviour’s context and function
- Knowledge of the integrated concurrent disorders recovery model for working with chronically homeless individuals.
- Knowledge of mental health diagnoses, medications, treatment, and support resources
- Knowledge of the bio-psychosocial addictions model, including stages of change and harm reduction.
- Knowledge of diagnoses, treatment, and support resources in the areas of substance use, physical health, HIV and Hepatitis C.
- Knowledge of the housing continuum, including supported housing systems and program models for special needs populations
- Demonstrates understanding of oppression and marginalization as related to chronically homeless individuals.
Please note, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Gibsons Modular, 749 School Road, Gibsons, British Columbia, Canada