Inspection and Reporting:
- Reviews Inspection criteria (e.g., contract, drawings, specification).
- Communicates relevant inspection and project information to the Client’s Project Engineer/ Manager, operations personnel, and other key project personnel.
- Maintain documentation and photographic record of inspected works, including completion of Daily Inspection Reports.
- Abide by RAM’s and Prime Contractor’s safety program and WorkSafe BC Regulations and report unsafe activities.
- Monitor the quality of work, identifying deficiencies in materials and workmanship.
- Informs the Project Engineer/Manager of any non-conformance to the contract documents and creates a non-conformance report for tracking.
- Monitor construction works to ensure compliance with the contract documents, which may extend to any or all part of the work.
- Provides supervision of contracted testing and inspection firms for survey and soils and engineered fills, asphalt, concrete, reinforcing steel, welding, painting/coating, miscellaneous fabrication, steel pipe supply, and other materials
- May be required to monitor adherence to permit requirements and safety regulations for approved, permitted crossings by inspecting work within a right of way, and any third-party work around the Client’s assets including:
- documenting excavation and inspection activities and working conditions.
- explain/enforce code compliance and company standards for all permitted work within rights of way and any non-permitted work in proximity to any assets.
- Provide technical support through all phases of the project.
- Maintains an effective working relationship with the Client’s staff, the contractor, and other agencies.
- May be required to track cost and schedule data, verify Contractor’s labour, equipment and materials use, and participate in review of Contractor’s change requests or claims.
- Attend preconstruction meetings and other project meetings as necessary and produce meeting minutes where required.
- May take as-constructed field measurements and red-line construction prints for record drawings.
- Responding to information requests from site and completing project documentation including ‘as-builts’, calculations and return of data to the client.
- Does not direct or interfere with the contractor’s work; consults the Project Engineer/Manager to discuss any issues and concerns.
Ideal Candidate Requirements
- Degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized Post-Secondary Institute and Registration or Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology or a related field.
- Experience with civil engineering, construction inspection, or contract administration
- Valid driver’s license required. This position requires use of personal vehicle in good working order to be used occasionally for business use, for which there is reimbursement.
- Intermediate skills with Microsoft Office Suite.
- 2+ years of Municipal Civil Infrastructure projects including road and utility; upgrades/replacements, pipeline installations, and erosion and sediment control.
- Experience with projects involving Quality Management, Field Inspection/Engineering, and writing reports.
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings with respect to site conditions specifically civil and structural engineering drawings.
- Experience working with contractors to address construction deficiencies, coordinating site related civil construction issues, and have knowledge of construction management and coordination practices.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD and/or Civil 3D.
- Understanding of relevant design codes, standards, and guidelines such as Master Municipal Construction Documents (MMCD), municipal requirements, NBCC and CSA standards, Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MoTI) Utilities manual, Canada Energy Regulator (CER) requirements, and civil construction practices for utilities in BC is an asset.
- Experience performing engineering field reviews compliant with EGBC guidelines considered an asset.
- Construction Safety Training, NACE and CWB certification, and Erosion and Sediment Control certification is an asset.
- Registration or eligibility to be registered as an Applied Science Technologists (AScTs) with Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia (ASTTBC), or as an Engineer in Training (EIT) with Engineers and Geoscientists BC (EGBC) will be an asset.
- Tuition Reimbursement and Career Planning
- Extended Health Benefits
- RAM Intramural teams
- Office Social Hours
- Business Casual Environment
- Quarterly Office Events
- Office Potlucks
- Community Involvement Days
- Quarterly Goal Setting
- Annual Performance and Salary Reviews
For five consecutive years, RAM has made Canadian Business and Maclean’s Growth 500 ranking of Canada’s Fastest-Growing Companies. Ranking Canada’s Fastest-Growing Companies by five-year revenue growth, the Growth 500 profiles the country’s most successful growing businesses.
We encourage applications from all qualified individuals. If this opportunity sounds like the next step in your professional career, please send your resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org. RAM is committed to employment equity and hires based on merit.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Job Family RAM
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $54,500.00
- Max Hiring Rate $67,500.00
- Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada