Mechanical Designer, Facilities
Why Redlen Technologies?
Redlen Technologies is a pioneering company that has revolutionized the semiconductor crystal growth and fabrication process.
At Redlen Technologies, innovation is at the heart of everything we do. Our founder's visionary work with the Canadian Space Agency laid the foundation for our groundbreaking Cadmium Zinc Telluride (CZT) sensors, revolutionizing medical imaging, security imaging, and non-destructive testing. We are driving a quantum leap forward in medical CT scanners, elevating diagnostic accuracy while reducing radiation dose– a technological feat that has earned us global recognition. With a commitment to excellence, we have earned the trust of Fortune 500 industry customers, leading to our acquisition by Canon Inc. for $430M– a testament to our industry leadership.
With over 200 dedicated professionals, we take pride in fostering a work environment where Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) professionals thrive. As an equal opportunity employer we demonstrate that diversity drives innovation, and we are passionate about building a future where every employee contributes to our mission-driven success.
Reporting to the Facilities Design Engineering Manager, the successful applicant will join a team responsible for developing solutions in support of the Production and R&D departments. This position is focused on designing equipment, jigs, and fixtures for Production, R&D, and Test Engineering. The candidate will work closely with internal customers and on the production floor to determine requirements and design fixtures that meet the identified requirements. Redlen is transitioning towards semi/fully automated processes, and preference will be given towards individuals with related experience. Redlen is committed to promoting employee equity and building a skilled, diverse workplace reflective of Canadian society.
Key responsibilities include:
- Design jigs and fixtures for production equipment and high voltage x-ray test equipment that incorporates electrical components and software control
- Fully document designs (e.g., generate 3D CAD models, create fab drawings and assembly drawings/instructions, BOMs, Schematics)
- Support sourcing or the development of equipment that minimizes operator interaction, increases throughput, improves quality, and produces repeatable results for use in a production environment
- Conducting research, documenting findings, and presenting reports at meetings
- Use of design management guidelines to identify design requirements & constraints to drive concept development
- Creating parts optimized for additive manufacturing and traditional manufacturing processes
- Registering fabrication and assembly drawings using Redlen’s documentation process
- This position falls within the Redlen Hybrid work model. As this is predominantly internal customer focused, on-site presence is required 2-3 days/week.
- Minimum 8-10 years industry experience
- Proficiency with SolidWorks and AutoCAD or similar 3D/2D CAD programs
- Proficiency with MS Office programs
- Experience designing jigs/fixtures in a production/manufacturing environment
- Demonstrable experience employing exact constraint design or other design optimization techniques
- Familiarity with geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
Experience Preferred (in one or more of the following areas):
- Design optimization for cost, including minimizing complexity, and appropriate tolerancing
- Experience with specialty environments such as clean rooms, explosive environments, and hazardous chemicals
- Semiconductor device fabrication processes including lapping, polishing, grinding, dicing & lithography
- Exposure to electrical & control system design and assembly, and hands-on integration of mechatronics equipment
- PLC or HMI programming
- Motion control (linear, continuous, rotary, servo & stepper motors)
- Working safely in a small workshop with multiple users (e.g., keeping workspaces tidy)
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong quality ethic
- Good organizational skills
- Good knowledge of industry codes and standards
- Ability to think contextually
- Ability to work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams
- Good time management skills and ability to work with limited supervision
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree or technical diploma in mechanical/mechatronics or equivalent
Expected Salary Range: $75,000 - 95,000 CAD
- Pay Type Salary
- Redlen Technologies Inc., 868120585, Saanichton, British Columbia, Canada