Manufacturing Engineer, Equipment and Process
Why Redlen Technologies?
Redlen Technologies is a pioneering company that has revolutionized the semiconductor crystal growth and fabrication process.
At Redlen Technologies, innovation is at the heart of everything we do. Our founder's visionary work with the Canadian Space Agency laid the foundation for our groundbreaking Cadmium Zinc Telluride (CZT) sensors, revolutionizing medical imaging, security imaging, and non-destructive testing. We are driving a quantum leap forward in medical CT scanners, elevating diagnostic accuracy while reducing radiation dose– a technological feat that has earned us global recognition. With a commitment to excellence, we have earned the trust of Fortune 500 industry customers, leading to our acquisition by Canon Inc. for $430M– a testament to our industry leadership.
With over 200 dedicated professionals, we take pride in fostering a work environment where Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) professionals thrive. As an equal opportunity employer we demonstrate that diversity drives innovation, and we are passionate about building a future where every employee contributes to our mission-driven success.
Reporting to the Manager, Crystal Growth Operations, the successful applicant will assume a key role in the development and improvement of Redlen’s Cadmium Zinc Telluride (CZT) crystal growth and fabrication using the traveling heater method (THM) and associated pre- and post-processing. A key component of this role is related to equipment, including new installations and improvements of capacity, quality, cost, lifecycle, and safety.
The Manufacturing Equipment/ Process Engineer will lead multiple projects concurrently, and will express curiosity and ambition to seek out and implement improvement opportunities. Initiative and regular collaboration regarding project plans, status, and communication of roadblocks (with proposed solutions) to their manager will enable the Manufacturing Equipment/ Process Engineer to be successful in this position.
- Design, plan, schedule, execute, and monitor projects, systems, components, and/or processes.
- Contribute to the tech transfer function between R&D, Engineering and Manufacturing.
- Conduct and support failure analysis and troubleshooting of non-conforming manufactured products to determine root cause.
- Equipment operation, installation, and optimization
- Hands-on operation of highly specialized semiconductor chemical etching, growth, slicing, dicing, and metrology equipment.
- Evaluate and implement new equipment, including feasibility, procurement, installation, commissioning, qualification, and maintenance (PM, setup, materials, procedure, etc.)
- Optimize currently installed equipment, including monitoring, defect reduction, OEE, PM, calibration, design, sensorization, alarms, interlocks, control, automation, etc.
- Develop system(s) to predict and prevent equipment failures.
- Audit and improve equipment preventative maintenance plans.
- Ensure equipment operates efficiently, meets quality standards, and complies with safety regulations with a detailed understanding and appreciation of all tool parameters.
- Process improvement
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to improve equipment performance, implement upgrades, and contribute to process optimization.
- Develop and optimize traveling heater method CZT growth equipment and processes such as quartz cleaning, ingot production, boule production, boule slicing, wafer dicing, wafer inspection, annealing, etc.
- Implement statistical process control (SPC) with manufacturing process engineers.
- Use Design of Experiments (DOE) methodologies and data analysis to improve growth process capability.
- Training, mentorship, and cross-functional communication
- Prepare and deliver presentations for internal consumption.
- Train production technicians, technologists, engineers, and scientists.
- Supervise and mentor production technicians and technologists.
- Write and maintain standard operating procedures (SOP) and process control plans (PCP).
- Conduct and support safety inspections, near-miss investigations, and accident investigations.
- Perform related duties as needed or assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or chemical engineering, material science, physics, chemistry, or equivalent. Title will be Equipment or Process Engineer depending on background and fit.
- Minimum five years of experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Minimum two years of experience in semiconductor material/device fabrication or electronics manufacturing.
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems using structured problem-solving techniques.
- Experience with 4 or more of the following:
- Operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of semiconductor manufacturing equipment.
- Hands-on machine/equipment repairs.
- Working in a clean room environment.
- Automation, robotics, mechatronics, and/or electronics.
- Hands-on characterization and analysis of semiconductor materials.
- Statistical analysis using JMP, Tableau, MiniTab, etc.
- Passion for machines and equipment.
- Proven ability to seek out improvement opportunities, take initiative, and lead projects independently.
- Hands-on and innovative individual that works well in a team environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and be able to work with limited supervision.
- Demonstrated positive attitude and self-motivation.
- Willingness and ability to periodically work off-shift hours (i.e., afternoon, night, weekends) for training and process audits.
Expected Salary Range: $80,000-100,000 CAD
- Pay Type Salary
- Job Start Date Friday, December 1, 2023
- Redlen Technologies Inc., 868120585, Saanichton, British Columbia, Canada