Waste & Recycling Assistant - Temp 1 year
Rocky View County is committed to providing our employees a respectful and stable work environment, work/life balance, and opportunities for professional learning and personal growth. We seek individuals who thrive on challenge and will contribute their positive energy, innovation, and service mindset to making a difference and contributing meaningfully to the vibrant community of 40,000 people who call Rocky View County home.
Hours: 37.5 / week - 7 1/2 per day between Monday and Saturday
Reporting to the Solid Waste & Recycling Lead, the Waste & Recycling Assistant is responsible for educating and informing County residents on County specific waste and recycling programs by attending events, interacting with the public, performing program performance audits, organizing and running special events, and supporting the work of the department as needed throughout Rocky View County.
- Attend community events to promote waste and recycling programs to County residents.
- Perform periodic cart-checks and participation audits where curbside programs exist.
- Visit Rocky View County Transfer Sites and Chuck Wagon sites to observe and make recommendations for improvements.
- Assist with special events such as Ag Round Ups, household hazardous waste collection days, and compost give-a-way days.
- Create and present reports on solid waste and recycling events and program performance to internal and external audiences.
- Respond to service requests and customer/resident inquiries.
- Perform data entry and analysis as required (e.g. transfer site usage and material processing data).
- Maintain County vehicles and equipment as required.
- Provide superior customer service to both internal and external clients.
- Act in a professional and responsible manner to protect the integrity of employees and the business of the County.
- Display a professional and ethical responsibility to protect privacy, use information appropriately, and maintain the confidentiality and security of all information related to employees, business, and residents of Rocky View County.
- Work in accordance with the requirements established by the County’s Health and Safety Program and the Alberta OHS Act, Regulation, and Code.
- Take reasonable care to protect their health and safety and other persons at or in the vicinity of the worksite while they are working.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
Candidate is preferred to possess some education or training in a related field with a keen interest in the industry.
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills. Be able to present information in a clear and logical way that holds the interest of the audience.
- Perform duties and stay motivated while working outdoors, sometimes alone or with others.
- Take leadership role as needed to ensure events run smoothly and per plan.
- Exercise independent judgment to maintain quality standards.
- Be personable while displaying courtesy, tact, a customer service attitude, and a desire to represent Rocky View County in a professional manner at all times.
- Experience with municipal or provincial levels of government would be considered an asset.
- Be passionate about environmental issues and be able to engage and present on a variety of environmental topics.
- Provide superior customer service, lead by example, and create a culture of excellence.
- Perform proficiently using MS Office, GIS, and GPS.
- Appropriate utilization of personal protective equipment (PPE) required (e.g., CSA footwear).
- Must possess a valid class 5 driver's license.
- Occasional weekend work may be required
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Seasonal
- Min Hiring Rate $22.50
- Max Hiring Rate $24.00
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Job Start Date Friday, March 1, 2024
- Job End Date Friday, February 28, 2025
- 262075 Rockyview Pt, Balzac, AB T4A 0X2, Canada