Traffic Engineer / Engineering Technologist
Do you love to develop and share great ideas? Do you believe your insights can drive people forward? Do you appreciate working with others and building on mutual successes? Perfect. We do, too.
As an employee-owned company, we foster a culture where our people can thrive – and by thrive, we mean a place where you can share your ingenuity, express your difference, and grow in your very own way. Whatever your area, no matter your grade, your unique skills and perspective will help drive change from operations to the C-suite, across a wide of range of projects and channels.
Are you ready to build a future that’s uniquely yours? Join our award-winning team and make a difference that defines you.
The Transportation Planning group is actively seeking an experienced engineer or technologist who is looking for a role that can provide the opportunity to expand their experience and responsibility combined with exposure to a wide variety of transportation engineering/planning projects.
The group supports infrastructure projects with comprehensive transportation planning; traffic operations; safety; modeling & functional design expertise.
As part of our transportation team, the individual will provide clients with traffic engineering and transportation planning services.
The individual will be involved in many aspects of transportation engineering including traffic safety, transportation planning and traffic engineering/modelling for Municipal and private sector clients.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare and contribute to transportation studies including multi-modal studies, transportation master plans, environmental assessments, traffic impact studies, TDM, active transportation and parking studies for various company offices.
- Support RVA project managers in the completion of technical analysis, client and stakeholder liaison, project management, and proposal preparation for a variety of public and private sector clients.
- Undertake some business development efforts by identifying, capturing, and qualifying opportunities.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships and communication with clients.
- Assist with proposal and report preparation related to transportation planning, traffic engineering and environmental assessments.
- Use of software packages including Synchro SimTraffic, Arcady, VISSIM and MS Office for analysis, evaluation, and report preparations.
- Design, undertake and manage field work such as site investigations, traffic data collection and existing transportation conditions.
- Contribute to construction drawings such as pavement markings, signage, traffic management and detour plans utilizing appropriate standards (e.g., Ontario Traffic Manuals).
- Undertake business travel upon request.
- Assist technical staff with additional duties as assigned.
- A degree in Civil Engineering (with a transportation engineering focus) or a college diploma in Civil Engineering Technology (with a Transportation Engineering focus).
- Qualified to practice in Ontario as a Professional Engineer or Certified Engineering Technologist, or eligible to be qualified within six months.
- 5-7 years of professional experience, preferably in the consulting industry.
- A valid Ontario Driver’s License – Class G and access to a personal vehicle for business purposes.
- Our preferred candidate will have strong communication, report writing, organization and interpersonal skills along with the following qualifications and experience.
- Municipal traffic engineering studies, such as intersection studies, corridor analyses, safety assessments, and traffic signal optimization.
- Knowledge and application of principles of geometric design and traffic engineering (e.g. TAC, OTM etc.)
- Municipal Class EA studies for transportation facilities.
- Transportation impact and parking demand studies for a wide range of development.
- Understanding of traffic demand forecasting and impact analysis techniques.
- Traffic engineering software, such as Synchro, Sim Traffic, Arcady, Vissim.
- Coordinating and contributing to public and agency consultation activities, including Public Open Houses/Information Centres.
We don’t settle for less, and neither should you. As it happens, offering great benefits to our people is entirely possible: the numbers work out. Happy teams mean happy clients. It’s just that simple. From recruitment to flexibility, learning to leadership, wellness to inclusion, we give our people the tools they need to outperform in their careers and build lasting connections with our clients, our culture, and each other.
- Competitive compensation packages and performance-based bonuses
- Health, paramedical, vision, and dental coverage
- A flexible vacation policy that lets you determine your time off based on your other responsibilities and needs
- Top-up plans for new and expecting parents
- Firm-paid holidays, summer and winter breaks, and other leaves of absence that cover everything from extra family time, jury duty, or even completing a degree
- RVA Group Pension Plan with match
- Global Travel Assist Program that provides emergency out-of-country medical protection for you and your eligible family members on personal and business trips
- Access to a variety of free services (e.g., employee and family assistance programs, nutrition advice, caregiver support) and employee discounts (e.g., sports and entertainment tickets, major brands, insurance plans)
- Flexible and alternative work arrangements around core hours, including telecommuting and work-from-home options
At RVA, we are committed to fostering a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. RVA is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, religion, creed, marital status, disability, or any other protected status. If you require any special accommodations, please advise Human Resources. Any information received relating to accommodations will be treated as confidential.
- 43 Church St Suite 104, St. Catharines, ON L2R 7E1, Canada
- 4900 Palladium Way, Burlington, ON L7M 0K9, Canada