Business Manager-Peace Hills Utilities Inc (PHUI)- Fulltime Permanent
Internal | External
Competition No. MS-23-27
Join our team!
The City of Wetaskiwin
Reporting to the General Manager of Municipal Services, this position is responsible for managing and coordinating all work required for PHUI and managing shared assets with the City. This position will help ensure the continuous and safe operations of PHUI and ensure that all standards are being met related to Provincial and Federal Regulations. Exercises considerable independence of action in planning, scheduling, co-coordinating, and indirect supervising of other staff, ensuring that applicable health and safety policies, acts, regulations, and codes are being met.
- Develop and monitor long-term strategic initiatives, priorities, goals, work plans, objectives, and budget that impact PHUI, which will align with the Boards approval.
- Actively and effectively promote team processes and facilitate the successful resolution of issues and problems between PHUI, Customers, PHUI contractors, and City Departments. This involves constructive conflict resolution, which is key to the organization's success.
- Ensures that asset management lifecycle processes are established and executed to develop a 10-year capital and operational plan allowing for sustainable utility rate modeling.
- Prepare and present long-range plans and forecasts for space, operational, maintenance and equipment requirements, and assist in the preparation, coordination, and control of the capital budget.
- Participate in the assessment of the current and future needs of PHUI, exploring partnership and funding opportunities, cost, and operating efficiencies; assists with annual budget process as required.
- Develop a business plan to ensure PHUI is looking for opportunities to make money and offset utility rates.
- Conduct a variety of studies and investigations, recommendations and or modifications to bylaws, policies, and procedures as appropriate.
- Ensure all PHUI expectations are communicated to the affected city employees and the utility operator i.e. customer service expectations, billing, etc.
- Ensure a safe and healthy work environment for employees, visitors, the community, and stakeholders, e.g., participates in workplace safety initiatives, participate in formal and informal worksite safety and environment inspections and audits, ensure compliance with the City’s Health and Safety Management System, reports and assists in the analysis of near misses or incidents.
- Review and approve billing from the utility operator. Manage the contract and ensure services are being completed. Review invoices for accuracy and appropriateness to contract.
- Ensure appropriate loss control procedures are in place and monitored.
- Approve expenditures within approved limits and established guidelines.
- Ensure compliance with the community 50-year vision as a guide.
- Act for the General Manager of Municipal Services when delegated to do so.
- Attend all board meetings
Education, Qualifications, and Work Experience
- Completion of a business administration management diploma or equivalent.
- Having background knowledge of Municipal Civil Infrastructure and certification in EIT,CET, P.Eng wil be considered an asset
- 5 years of related and progressive experience including supervisory experience preferable in a utility or private business.
- Good working knowledge of business operations, political acumen, and business development.
- Good working knowledge of asset management and lifecycles.
- Class 5 driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and strong customer service within members of the leadership team, private and public officials, employees, and the general public.
- Proven ability as a strategic thinker and planner.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and to make decisions.
- Proven track record for designing programs and follow through implementation.
- Proven strategic planning skills (big picture thinking).
- Solid leadership and managerial skills to build high performance teams.
- Proven negotiation, mediation, and facilitation skills.
- Proven ability to utilize process and procedure management processes for efficiency purposes.
- Ability to use research and reporting techniques and concepts.
- Advanced interpersonal communication and excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office programs (Outlook, Excel, Word, and Project Management)
- Knowledge of all water and wastewater legislation and regulations.
- Ability to plan, organize and supervise a relevant project ensuring completion in a timely and efficient manner.
- Strong knowledge of the OH&S guidelines.
- Analytical and creative thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Communication skills, both verbal and written; maintain positive and effective working relationships with employees and other stakeholders.
- Strong work ethic and highly motivated; ability to work in a fast-paced environment and respond to action requests in a timely manner.
- Opportunities for growth within the organization.
- Benefits (Include Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance) start on date of hire, and pension starting at six months of employment.
- Employee assistance Program
- Discounted (optional) membership to use the Manluk Regional Aquatic and Fitness Centre when not working.
- Sick days, with two additional personal days and your work anniversary day off!
Application Deadline and Details
Application deadline: November 26, 2023
How to Apply: Click the “Apply Now” button below..
Before commencing employment , the successful candidate must provide all necessary certifications and documentation including but not limited to a driver's abstract, and employment related record checks.
Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, email@example.com
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate $103,702.58
- Max Hiring Rate $127,541.09
- City Hall Wetaskiwin, 4705 50 Ave, Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada