Airport Maintenance Operator l- Part-Time One Year Term
Municipal Services Division
Competition No. MS-23-37
Join our team!
The City of Wetaskiwin
Wetaskiwin is a collaborative and inclusive place where we examine our current state, share ideas for making things better and we are doing it! Wetaskiwin is a collaborative and inclusive place where we share ideas for making things better; and turn these ideas into actionable plans. We cultivate well-being, through our team's dedication to building positive, trusting and fulfilling relationships based on our organizational values, trust, resourcefulness and integrity.
Reporting to the Airport Management Coordinator, the Airport Maintenance Operator will have the responsibility of covering weekend, and weekday operating hours, for the Wetaskiwin Regional Airport. Operating within the terminal building, situated on the airfield, and across the aircraft movement areas of Wetaskiwin Regional Airport, the Airport Maintenance Operator assumes a pivotal role within the team, delivering maintenance and airport operation services in strict adherence to all regulatory, safety, and industry standards governing aircraft operations.
Completing maintenance and regulatory requirements for safe aircraft operations activities such as:
- Responsible to operate all machinery, tools and equipment associated to duties, including ensuring equipment is properly inspected, utilized, and maintained.
- Operating heavy equipment on the airfield to maintain grass, signs, and aviation visual aids in compliance with wildlife, and safety mandates.
- Conducts snow and ice control through the application of specialized de-icing chemicals and/or aggregates and operating heavy snow removal equipment.
- Monitoring the airport’s UNICOM radio frequency to provide information to pilots and airport operational communications.
- Controlling Foreign Object Debris (FOD) on the airfield through the use of specialized FOD removal equipment and manual techniques.
- Performance of airfield/runway inspections, issuing aircraft movement area surface condition reports, identifying wildlife hazards, and conducting wildlife control activities.
- Summarize any airport equipment or facilities deficiencies and hazards identified daily, to facilitate timely reporting and implementation of corrective actions.
- Responsible for issuing NOTAMs and communicating to all airport users any hazards to aircraft operations or deviation from the Airport’s published operations.
- Provide customer service and response to inquiries from the public, airport user’s, hangar owners, and pilots, through email communications, in person, on the phone, and by radio.
- Other duties as required.
Education, Qualifications, and Work Experience
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Valid class 5 Alberta Driver’s license. Class 3 would be considered an asset.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in a safety sensitive role operating equipment such as commercial mowers and tractors and heavy equipment.
- Must be able to obtain an Industry Canada Radio License within 30 days of employment.
- Aviation field maintenance experience preferred. Experience in construction, farming, field/grounds maintenance, or other related field of work.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Analyze conditions independently using sound judgement skills.
- Strong work ethic with a high level of initiative and enthusiasm, and an ability to excel in a fast-paced environment.
- Professional attitude with exceptional interpersonal and communications skills.
- A team player, capable of working both collaboratively and independently.
- A strong concern for the health and safety of self and others, with the ability to work safely and effectively under pressure.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Effective and efficient computer skills in an MS Office operating environment.
- Willing to learn new skills and adapt to change.
- Interpret documents including safety rules, operating, maintenance and procedure manuals.
- Access to EAP (Employee Assistance Program)
- Discounted (optional) membership to use the Manluk Regional Aquatic and Fitness Centre.
Application Deadline and Details
Application Deadline: November 26, 2023
How to Apply: Click the "Apply Now" button below.
Before commencing employment, the successful candidate must provide all necessary certifications and documentation including but not limited to a driver's abstract, and employment related record checks.
The City of Wetaskiwin is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $26.97
- Max Hiring Rate $33.17
- Wetaskiwin Airport, 6301 47 Avenue, Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada