Lifeguard l - Part-Time Permanent
(Hiring multiple positions)
Community and Protective Services Division
Competition No. CS-23-24
Join our team!
Are you a strong swimmer with a passion for ensuring the safety of others? We are seeking dedicated and responsible lifeguards to join our team and help create a safe and enjoyable environment for our patrons. If you have the skills and certifications required, we want you on board!
Reporting to the Aquatic Coordinator, the Lifeguard’s priority is to ensure our patrons have a safe, enjoyable experience while maintaining cleanliness and water quality every day. Using excellent interpersonal skills, Lifeguards deliver outstanding customer service, address concerns and inquiries promptly - including knowledge of all programs, schedules, and general information about the Manluk Regional Aquatic and Fitness Centre.
This opportunity offers the following incentives:
- An additional shift premium for hours worked before 7 a.m. and after 7 p.m. daily.
- Two personal days per year
- Deck footwear/swimsuit allowance.
- Paid training on select courses and recertifications.
- Opportunities for growth within the organization.
- Discounted (optional) membership to use the Manluk Regional Aquatic and Fitness Centre when not working.
- Provide the highest standard of lifeguarding, including effective scanning, patrolling and professionalism in a team setting.
- Prevent incidents: safeguard the public through enforcement of policies, public education, exceptional safety surveillance and routine safety inspections.
- Respond to emergency situations and perform first aid/emergency aid as required.
- Provide exceptional customer service by promoting positive patron relations, answering questions, educating the public, and responding to concerns.
- Complete assigned maintenance such as cleaning the pool deck and change rooms, etc.
- Perform basic operational tasks to ensure regular operation of the facility.
- Complete necessary mechanical and operational checklists, charts, forms, accident and near-miss reports.
- Set up and take down equipment according to the facility schedule.
- Maintain professionalism by keeping a clean, presentable appearance, being prompt and prepared for every shift, and behaving in an appropriate manner both on and off deck.
- Other duties as required.
Hours of Work
- Employees are required to fulfill a minimum of two (2) scheduled shifts per pay period, with one of these shifts falling on a weekend or in the evening.
- Employes must maintain availabilty for a fliexible work schedule, which may include shifts during the morning, mid-day, evening and on weekends.
- The hours of work per week may vary based on operational needs and cannot always be projected however, anticipated hours are approximately two(2) – twenty-nine (29) hours per week.
- Attendance at mandatory training sessions is expected outside of regular workweek hours.
Education, Qualifications, and Work Experience
- Minimum of 16 years old.
- Possession of the following current certifications – ability to renew qualifications annually or as required:
- Lifesaving Society’s National Lifeguard (NL).
- Alberta Workplace approved Intermediate First Aid (IFA).
- Lifesaving Society’s Swim Instructor (SI) and Lifesaving Instructor (LSI) considered an asset or able to obtain within 6 months of start date.
- Provide a criminal and vulnerable sector record check.
- Proof of certification and Lifesaving Society Member ID # submitted prior to being considered for position
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
- Ability to perform aquatic rescues and first aid procedures.
- Demonstrates commitment in continuous learning.
- Can implement and respond to emergency situations and perform under stress.
- Takes strong initiative, demonstrates creativity.
- Is responsible, accountable and demonstrates integrity.
Application Deadline and Details
Application deadline: This job posting will remain open until all positions are filled.
How to Apply: Click the “Apply Now” button below.
Before commencing employment , the successful candidate must provide all necessary certifications and documentation including but not limited to a driver's abstract, and employment related record checks.
The City of Wetaskiwin is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, email@example.com
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $17.50
- Max Hiring Rate $21.53
- Manluk Centre Wetaskiwin Regional Aquatics & Fitness, 4514 50 Avenue, Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada